Birchwood Automotive Group
Your privacy is important to Birchwood (referred to as "we" or "us" in this policy) and the purpose of this policy is to tell you what personal information we collect about you, how we use it, whether we disclose it to anybody else, how long we keep it, and how you can request access to your personal information or obtain more information about Birchwood’s privacy policies.
Birchwood means Birchwood Automotive Group, a division of The Megill-Stephenson Company Limited, including subsidy dealerships as well as the associated credit divisions.
- To business partners, such as third party service providers, agents and affiliated entities in connection with the services that they perform for Birchwood.
- BMW Canada Inc., our related companies, including BMW Financial Services Canada.
- Law enforcement agencies for the purposes of investigating fraud or other offences.
- Legal, financial, and other professional advisors or in connection with the sale or reorganization of all or part of its business or operations.
Except as provided above, our dealership will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your implied or express consent, you will be notified of, and asked to consent to, the sharing of your personal information necessary for the provision of these requested features or services.
We are responsible for the personal information under our control and we have designated our GROUP PRIVACY OFFICER who is responsible for our compliance with this policy and with privacy legislation. If you wish to contact our GROUP PRIVACY OFFICER, you can do one of the following:
- by telephone - 204-831-4214
- by facsimile - 204-831-4222
- by email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- by mail - Unit 35D-3965 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3K 2H7
What Personal Information do we collect?
When you purchase or lease a vehicle from us, or when you have us service or repair a vehicle or if you finance the purchase or lease of a vehicle through us or purchase or lease other products or services from or through us or if you participate in one of our surveys, contests, or promotions, or if you test drive one of our vehicles or contact one of our dealerships' staff, we may collect some or all of the following personal information:
- your name, address and telephone number
- e-mail address and facsimile number
- your occupation
- information about your driving habits (such as preferred car size, colour, type of vehicle, kilometres driven annually, etc.)
- information about your existing vehicle(s) and any trade-in
- details of your vehicle and its service history
- your driver's licence number
- the name of your insurance company and agent
- your insurance policy number and details about your insurance coverage
- similar information about other members of your family
- your language preference
- your date of birth and/or the date of birth of other members of your family
- your social insurance number and/or the social insurance number of other members of your family
- financial and credit information about you and/or other members of your family (specific information is set out in the application for credit forms)
- the principle amount of your loan, interest and repayment schedule
- health information if you are applying for life, health, disability or accident insurance
- the amount of any life, health, disability or accident insurance and details of that insurance
Birchwood uses information gathered about users only for limited purposes permitted by law.
Provision of your Social Insurance Number is optional. However, you should be aware that most Credit Reporting Agencies use the Social Insurance Number as a unique identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing credit reports. If you do not wish to provide your Social Insurance Number, our ability to obtain a timely and accurate credit report may be affected.
Our Anti-Spam Policy tolerates only permission-based email- subscription to emails or information requested for to be provided through email or phone. We obtain your consent by asking you to choose to opt-out of our mailing list or opt-in. By checking the opt-in box when contacting us, through the forms available, you agree to be contacted by us for the purposes described in the Disclaimer. All emails sent to you will be compliant with CASL and include:
- The option to opt-in to receive communication for the purposes described in the Disclaimer
- The option to unsubscribe from receiving electronic communication from us as described here
The Security of your Personal Information is Important to Us
We use your personal information only for the purposes identified above and access to your personal information is limited to those employees of Birchwood who need to have access to it.
How do we use your Personal Information?
Your personal information may be used by us to provide products and services to you such as: to obtain a license for your vehicle, to obtain a credit report if you are financing or leasing your vehicle, to obtain appropriate financing of your vehicle for you, to provide you with a reminder that your vehicle requires servicing and to provide you with updates and information regarding products and services that we have to offer and which we think will be of interest to you.
Sometimes we have to share your Personal Information with others
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of your personal information with third parties such as the manufacturer of your vehicle and its related companies, the providers of products or services relating to your vehicle, credit reporting agencies, financial institutions or financing companies, your insurance agent or company and companies which provide or insure warranties relating to your vehicle. We may also disclose your personal information where we are required or permitted by law to do so.
How long do we keep your Personal Information?
We retain your personal information as long as we believe that you are still the owner of the vehicle. If the information relates to the financing or lease of the vehicle, we retain personal information relating to the financing or lease arrangements as long as those arrangements are in place. If the information relates to the service or repair of your vehicle we retain the personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary to address any issues arising from the service or repair of your vehicle or as may be required by law. If there are legal requirements relating to the period of time that we must retain your personal information, we comply with those requirements.
What can you do if you want to limit the use to which we put your Personal Information?
Most of the personal information that we collect is necessary for us to sell or lease you your vehicle, to provide products and services related to the vehicle, to assist you in the financing or lease of your vehicle or to provide service to your vehicle and we cannot do this without that personal information. Similarly, we must disclose your personal information as described above in order to sell you the vehicle, to provide products and services related to the vehicle, to assist you in arrangements for financing or leasing or to provide servicing to your vehicle. If you do not want us to use or disclose your personal information in a particular way, please contact our GROUP PRIVACY OFFICER and we will be pleased to discuss with you how we can limit collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
You can request access to your Personal Information
You have a right to access the personal information that we have about you and to request that personal information that you believe to be inaccurate be corrected. If you wish to access your personal information you should contact our GROUP PRIVACY OFFICER who will be pleased to assist you.
COOKIES AND INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING DISCLOSURE.
What kind of interest-based advertising do we conduct?
We participate in network advertising programs that display advertising about BMW on other unaffiliated websites. We customize and personalize this advertising to your interests based on information from your activities, such as the actions you take when you visit our websites and when visiting websites that display BMW advertising.
We use technologies such as cookies, web beacons, pixels and other technologies to collect information on how users navigate our website and respond to our promotional communications. When a user interacts with our website, “cookies” and other digital markers are used by us and by our third party service providers to collect information and to track user patterns. A cookie is a small text file which contains a unique identification number that identifies your browser, not you personally, to our computer each time you visit our website. A cookie can tell us which pages were visited and how often. We use this information in an effort to improve our website’s usefulness to you – primarily for technical reasons, such as providing seamless navigation. In addition, we may use website plugins (including third-party plugins) that store information in your local browser storage to assist with understanding website analytics.
What third party service providers collect information on this website and what is the purpose of this collection?
Our third party service providers, including ad management providers, use third party cookies, web beacons, or other digital markers to help us to maintain and improve our websites and electronic communications, deliver interest-based advertising on this website and on other sites, and provide social plug-in functions. A list of service providers is available upon request.
Customized Social Media Ads
We may also use third-party social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to show you customized ads. To offer such ads, we may convert your email address, telephone number or other information into a unique value which can be matched by our partner social media company with a user on the social media platform. Although we do not provide any personal information to these platform vendors, they may gain insights about individuals who respond to the ads we serve.
Why does Birchwood BMW conduct interest-based advertising?
We believe that interest-based advertising that is tailored to your particular interests is more helpful and relevant to you. We use information collected about your interaction with our websites and other unaffiliated websites to understand our audiences and to improve your access to new products and services that are most relevant to your interests.
How can I opt-out of receiving interest-based advertising from Birchwood BMW?
If you do not want to receive interest-based advertising on other websites or would like to exercise choices about the third party advertising networks that provide you with interest-based advertising, please see the opt-out options below. Please note that if you opt-out you may still receive online advertising from us on other websites or applications. However, these advertisements will not be displayed to you based on your interests. Please note that like many other websites, we will also continue to personalize your visits to our website.
- Interest-Based Advertising and Analytics. You can opt-out of network advertising programs that track your activities across multiple websites to deliver personalized advertising content to you.
- Tools are available that can identify member companies that have placed cookies on your browser and provides mechanisms to opt-out of those cookies. You will still receive other types of advertising from participating companies; however, it will not be based on your interests. Deleting browser cookies can remove your opt-out preferences, so you should use these tools periodically to ensure that your preferences are up-to-date.
- Cookies. If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to:
(i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it;
(ii) disable existing cookies; or
(iii) set your browser to automatically reject any cookies. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it. You may not disable certain types of cookies that are essential to the operation of our websites and that are considered strictly necessary cookies.
Who can I contact if I have questions about cookies or interest-based advertising?
Should you have any questions or concerns about our interest-based advertising or our privacy practices, please contact our email@example.com as set out at the beginning of this policy and we will try to address your concerns.